So recently I had to wipe my computer clean and start from scratch. I had quite a plethora of free vsts on the computer and decided that most of them weren't really worth re-installing. Here are the 10 that made the cut and were re-installed on the machine because I do use them frequently. I think most of these are PC only folks... Click on the VST title to go to the download pages for each VST.
1. TAL- Noisemaker - So pretty much everything put out by TAL is really good and usable, but I think Noise Maker stands out. I find myself using this synth alot for sound design and music. It has a nice fat analog sound to it and it is really easy to tweak to get the sound you want out of it.
2. Analog Warfare (1, 2, &3) - This comes as a suite of 3 plugins (Analog Warfare 1, 2 & 3). Install all of them. They are all slightly different and good for creating creative synth textures, modulation & arpeggios.
3. TAL Dub III - Another TAL plugin, this is a great simple little delay vst that allows you to create tempo synched or free form delays. You can control what speakers the delay is pumped to and there is even a drive knob that allows for some subtle distortion. I find myself reaching for this delay quite often.
4. String Theory - This is a physical modelling synthesizer. Its specialty is strings. The synth has 2 arpeggiators which allows for some complex patterns. The range of the type of sounds it can create is impressive.
5. TAL Filter II - This is a filter vst lets you apply an envelope across time and apply it to 7 different types of filters (the same ones used in Noise Maker) as well as pan and volume.
6. Rez 2.0 - This is a monophonic virtual analog synth that is bright and resonant sounding. I use it alot for bass lines that I need to cut through the mix.
7. Boom Comb - This is a comb filter plugin that I use quite a bit for sound design to get crazy flange/delay/gritty style effects.
8. Valhalla FreqEcho - This is the only free multi-band delay I know of, and it's good. I used it on vocals for the last dance remix I worked on. It was great for building up tension. I would also recommend this for sound design as well.
9. TAL Tube - This vst is a tube amp simulator which adds warmth to any sound you apply it to. I use this one alot to add extra oomph to drums especially.
10. DBlue Glitch - Glitch is an effects sequencer that allows you define the size of the slices of audio it effects based on a time grid. I use this plug quite often on drums to spice up boring loops or patterns.
Well I hope you enjoy these 10 plugins. I think you'll find they are definitely the cream of the crop.
Until next time... Over N Out